Address: Via Garibaldi – Castel Viscardo (TR)
Telephone: (+39) 328.1527119
Telephone: (+39) 329.2081122
The structure is part of the Orvieto ECOMUSEUM, it can host school groups and adults curious to enter the terracotta world of which Castel Viscardo has been known since 1541 (the year in which the presence of a first kiln is documented).
The museum consists of three small rooms and an educational laboratory:
1st Room: Conference room in which an explanatory video of the history of the kilns of Castel Viscardo is projected, both about bricks and of the now disappeared kilns of pots, jars, dishes and votive images. A series of images are set up, made available by the local companies, representing their most significant commission and on the sides two imposing oil jars of the early 20th century, the work of the master Gioacchino Borri. Finally, the corner of the archive, an open book with browsable slides in which to retrace the history of craftsmanship through the various documents found so far, a section for bricks and one for vases, jars and dishes.
2nd Room: The kiln: reconstruction of a work room as it was until a few years ago; a work table and other tools; nearby there is also the reproduction of a small pit oven for cooking with a lot of examples on the art of “baking”. On the walls are explanatory panels on the processing stages.
3rd Room: History of Castel Viscardo: A 3D video traces the history of Viscardo Castle from the end of the 13th century to 1928. From the first watchtower to the construction of the village within the walls and up to the unfortunate destruction of the houses of the ancient village in 1928. On the sides panels representing a fresco of the 17th century Castel Viscardo and a view of the Castle with and without the houses of the district called “Suddentro”. On the other side reproduction of the Gregorian Land Registry and indication of brick and terracotta kilns in 1876.
Laboratory: located on the floor below, it includes an important production of material by local artists who decorate the town in some characteristic places; it is equipped with a kiln for cooking and enamel. Thanks to the regional contribution, pottery courses are organized within it.