A legend attributes the foundation of Baschi to Galino of Biscay who was a follower of Charlemagne, nicknamed “le Basque” from which the lineage of Baschi was derived. It is said that in 1235 the first fortification in the area of the town was built. The descendants of that lineage ruled the area until the mid-16th century, when the people rebelled destroying the castle and acquiring power until the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy.
Today in the oldest, most beautiful and original part of Baschi there is the San Nicolò Church (16th century) with an elegant bell tower (work of the Orvieto architect Ippolito Scalza), a Polyptych by Giovanni di Paolo (1440), and a precious organ inside, and the Town Hall with the Antiquarium: a permanent exhibition space in which Roman pottery and terracotta found in the nearby archaeological site of Scoppieto are displayed.
The territory of Baschi played an important role as a selling point for the Roman civilization, as evidenced by of the remains of an ancient river port (Porto di Pagliano), located at the junction of the rivers Paglia and Tiber which at that time were navigable. The importance of Baschi as the dominant city on the Tiber, was partly due to the figure of San Nicolò, patron saint of sailors.
In the territory outside of the city (an area that in the 90’s several American magazines defined as one of the “most livable areas in the world“) there is Corbara lake which was created by the artificial barrier on the Tiber river within a protected area the Tiber River Park that was established in 1994.
Characterized by natural beauties like the suggestive Forello Gorge, the park and lake offer an ideal environment for nature lovers, fisherman and extreme sports enthusiasts (canoe, caving, canyoning). The panoramic road that skirts this body of water meets typical villages such as Titignano, Civitella del Lago, which houses the original Museo dell’Ovo Pinto (exhibition of painted eggs), and places for meditation rich in charm, miracles, and legends.
Among these, the Eremo del Santuario della Pasquarella (11th century) located between dense woods and rocky gorges is a place of great beauty. It is also linked to a popular legend according to which, some local inhabitants found an image of the Madonna in the stream bed and brought it to the parish church, but several times this image returned to the place where it was found.
Another place of faith in the area is the Sant’Angelo di Pantanelli Convent, on the road that goes from Baschi to Todi. The convent was built on land donated by the Baschi family to San Francesco. In addition to the convent, the building also includes a church with precious frescoes.
Not far from the convent stands a centuries-old secular oak (which is said to have been planted by St. Francis himself), and a limestone/sandstone grotto with a stone bed and nearby a rock from which according to popular belief, the Saint of Assisi preached to fish.
Among the guests of the Sant’Angelo di Pantanelli convent there were important figures such as San Bernardino da Siena and Fra Jacopone da Todi, famous Umbrian dialect poet. The latter during his stay at the convent, composed several lauds including the famous “Stabat Mater” (13th century).
Other small hamlets belong to the Municipality of Baschi, including Acqualoreto, Collelungo, Scoppieto, Vagli, Morruzze and Morre. This last fraction built on Roman settlements, presents the church of S. Andrea and beautiful paths inside ancient chestnut trees.