Castel Giorgio owes its name to the Orvieto bishop Giorgio della Rovere, who in 1477 had a castle built as his summer residence in this area. In the first decades of the 17th century another representative of the church, Cardinal Giacomo Sannesio wanted the castle to be renovated to make it a palace for the cardinals and prelates who wanted to save themselves from the heat of Orvieto.
A cool and pleasantly ventilated climate has always been characteristic of Castel Giorgio and of the Altopiano dell’Alfina which is still appreciated today during the hottest summer months.
Although Castel Giorgio was an important crossroads for trade between Bolsena and Orvieto, for some time it has maintained a rather modest dimension, reduced to a few scattered houses surrounded by countryside. It is only in more recent years that it has experienced a more significant urban development. 1876 was the year the Town Hall was built and at the same time the appearance of the current town was outlined.
From this period onward and during the world wars, there was an aviation school and an important military airport in the area. Even today the Alfina plateau, not far from the center of Castel Giorgio, hosts a small airfield for light aircraft and tourism. Noteworthy curiosity, in the town is the Museo del Football Americano (Museum of American Football).
The countryside and the woods surrounding the town still see the widespread presence of agriculture, livestock, and historic residences such as the Castello di Montalfina, il Castello di Pecorone, il Palazzo di Montiolo, and the Fagiolo and Casa Pisana villas.
In the outskirts of the town, there are important findings of small necropolises (Lauscello) and tombs from the 3rd century BC (whose finds are exhibited in the museums of Orvieto) and a prehistoric cave near the Romealla stream.
In the subsoil of a large part of the municipal area there is a noticeable endogenous dynamism that is revealed with surface shower heads used temporarily by Enel.
The village still retains much of the rural festivities of the past, the most evocative of which is the “l’arrancata del maggio” which takes place precisely on May 12, during the feast of the patron Saint Pancrazio.