Open one Saturday a month (visit by reservation)
Telephone: (+39) 0763.361072
Tickets: € 8.00 per person
Reduced price: € 4.00 (students)
Castel Viscardo was probably built, as an important sighting point in defense of Orvieto, of the entire upper and middle Valle del Paglia by Viscardo Ranieri, between 1292 and 1298.
The existence of a fort, known as Castle of Madonna, has been documented since 1350, the year in which this “madonna Antonia”, wife of Bonifacio Ranieri, was the owner. Later the castle became the property of the Monaldeschi della Cervara until 1635.
After several restorations and after the wedding of the descendant of the Monadelschi, Giulia with Matteo Veralli. Giovanni Battista (baron of Castel Viscardo) and Fabrizio (later cardinal with the title of Sant’Agostino) were born from the union. From Giovanni Battista, Giulia and Maria are born. Maria in 1636 married Orazio Spada and brought the family, then Spada-Veralli into the fiefdom which became the marquisate and then in the second half of the 18th century principality. The last representative of the Spada-Veralli family is Prince Federico Augusto who died in 1921. The current owners are followed by the Benedict dukes of Montevecchio.
The fortress of the late 13th century, which later became a stately palace with enrichments of towers and loggias, was built by attaching the structure to a previous tower which was later raised. Around there was the ancient fortified village destroyed after 1928 (there is a 3D video in the museum that reconstructs the various stages of construction). Part of the current settlement was built in the 17th century on a design by the Roman architect Tommaso Mattei. The two brick doors (one destroyed in 1938) that delimited the new village are from the second half of the 17th century as probably a sundial which is being restored. The first exit of the houses from the walls of the Castle dates back to the 16th century towards the area where today the museum is located where there was water.