6.5 C
Orvieto
February 20, 2020

Four Castles to Visit

Location

  • Porano
  • Castel Viscardo
  • Ficulle
  • Montegabbione

Visiting time

  • 3 days

How to get there

  • Car required

In an area rich in history and tradition there are also fortresses, castles and fortifications. Some are privately owned, others used for other purposes. Along this journey you can see four different castles from the Middle Ages, each with its own history and characteristics.

Built in the 13th century, Castel Rubello sits on a hill. From the access road it has excellent environmental qualities, placing itself with an emerging role in a landscape varied and characterized by a rich arboreal vegetation, and rows of vineyards. On September 9, 1346 just after its construction, the Municipality of Orvieto with a “carta” forced Petruccio di Jacomo of Ranieri di Guglielmo to defend the Castle. In 1385 it became part of the June 13 truce between Muffati and Malcorini, while in 1397 that was declared to be a mockery. After various vicissitudes on June 17, 1414 at the end of the Vicariate of Pietro Morbilli from Naples, Pope Eugene IV returned the castle under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Orvieto. Castel Ribello in addition to Allegrona, Porano and Lubriano…

The existence of a fortress known as the Castle of Madonna has been documented since 1350. That is the year in which it became the property of this “Madonna Antonia”, wife of Bonifacio Ranieri. Later the castle became the property of the Monaldeschi della Cervara until 1635. After several restorations, and after the marriage of a descendant of the Monadelschi, Giulia with Matteo Veralli, the union gave birth to Giovanni Battista (baron of Castel Viscardo) and Fabrizio (later cardinal with the title of Sant’Agostino). Giulia and Maria were born from John the Baptist. Maria in 1636 married Orazio Spada and brought the family, then Spada-Veralli, in the fiefdom that became a marquisate, and then in the second half of the 18th century principality…

Since 1222 the Castle was under the jurisdiction of the “free Municipality” of Orvieto. As all the fortifications in the area it had a double purpose: it was part of the defensive belt of the Municipality, but it was also the theater of internal struggles between the Orvieto families. The castle is located in the municipality of Ficulle, immersed in a fertile and unspoiled countryside characterized by beautiful vineyards…

The castle is located in the village of Montegiove, not far from Montegabbione. The structure was built in the 13th century by the Lombard family of the Bulgarelli, counts of Parrano and Marsciano. The original shape of the castle included an ovoid wall, in which was placed a low entrance tower, open on one side and with a gate fitted with a shutter…