Address: Piazza Bilancini, 16 – Monteleone d’Orvieto (TR)
Can be visited for free
Originally the church had a single nave on which four chapels opened; behind the main altar there was a choir. Over the centuries the cult building has undergone successive expansions and various transformations until it reaches the current structure; in particular between 1815 and 1821 the brick facade and bell tower were built, all coming from the local furnaces.
In the bell tower there are four bells: the largest, located to the north, has a beautiful harmonic timbre and a majestic tone: it is the “Campanone”. The side chapels have also been removed and the church today has three naves. The altarpiece is the work of the school of Pietro Vannucci called il Perugino (Città della Pieve 1445– Fontignano 1523), a well-known master of Umbrian Renaissance painting. The panel represents the Madonna and Child, with the Apostles Peter and Paul on the sides, recognizable by the attributes: the keys, the sword and the book; in the lunette Jesus rising from the sepulcher with the angels on the sides. The altar dedicated to the Annunciation is located on the left of the main altar, while on the right there is the chapel of the Sacred Heart, built by the Community to celebrate the long-awaited end of the Second World War.