Address: Piazza del Municipio – Monteleone d’Orvieto (TR)
Telephone: (+39) 0763 834021
The theatre built in 1732 is located in an ancient stately building in the center of the town, the palace was the seat of the Podestà or Vicar sent by Orvieto, but also had other uses: a part of it housed a barn and an oil mill while in another section was the prison. Historical documents tell that in 1732 a group of young people asked to have the premises of the palace available to carry out theatrical activities, in particular to set up comedies during the carnival period. In the following years, some wealthy families decided to intervene on the structure of the theater by having the boxes built there. The theatre today, with its 96 seats is one of the smallest in the world and continues to be active and a venue for entertainment and events.
(Photographic credits: Roberto Cherubini)