May 1 – September 30 : 8:00 – 19:30
October 1 – April 30: 8:00 – 16:30
The fortress or Rocca Albornoz was built starting in 1364 commissioned by Cardinal Albornoz, and already in 1390 it was destroyed while the city lived a period of tumultuous internal struggles. In 1450 under the control of the Papal States the fortress was rebuilt and in 1527 Pope Clement VII commissioned Antonio da Sangallo the Younger to build the Well of San Patrizio, which at that time was called Pozzo della Rocca precisely because it was designed as a service of the fortress and for the water supply of the city.
The fortress continued to have its original function as a military defense structure until the end of the 1800s. Having lost its military function the fortress became a meeting place for events also thanks to the construction inside of a amphitheater with steps and stages where events took place.
Today the fortress houses the public gardens and the birthplace of the Orvieto journalist Luigi Barzini. From its walls you can enjoy a beautiful panorama of the valley below.