16.5 C
Orvieto
June 7, 2020

Orvieto – San Giovenale Church

Information

Address: Via Volsinia – Orvieto (TR)

Located in the medieval quarter of Orvieto in the oldest part of the city, the church of San Giovenale, dates back to the year 1004 and was built on the remains of an ancient temple (probably dedicated to Tinia, the Jupiter of the Etruscans). Today the church is full of charm in the simplicity of its external Romanesque forms and owes its name to San Giovenale, bishop of Narni whose effigy is carved above the entrance portal. The interior of the church was recently restored, is linear and rich in fine frescoes that best represent the painting of the Orvieto school of the 15th century.