21.7 C
Orvieto
July 13, 2020

Village to Village

Location

  • Allerona
  • Montecchio

Visiting time

  • 2 days

How to get there

  • Car required

An itinerary dedicated to visiting two municipalities included in the circuit of the “Most beautiful villages in Italy” and which boast historic-natural attractions as well as a remarkable gastronomic traditions.

Surrounded by a verdant nature in a hilly position, the village of Allerona is gathered between ancient walls that tell of its medieval history when it was a stronghold of the Municipality of Orvieto towards Chiusi, subject to the families of the Monaldeschi and Filippeschi. Remains of the ancient walls and the two doors named Del Sole and Della Luna remain from the ancient fortification. Of interest are some churches (among all those of Santa Maria Assunta, and the Madonna delle Acque), the Visconteo palace and the former recreational club that houses the permanent exhibition of the Pugnaloni.

Situated on a hill above the Tiber valley, the town still preserves the character of a medieval village with its curious little streets and mighty walls. The history of this territory begins much farther away; already in pre-Roman times the territory was known and inhabited, as evidenced by the vast Necropolis of the Vallone di San Lorenzo, discovered in the mid-1800’s by the archaeologist Domenico Golini. The original nucleus of the castle dates back to around 1165 by the Chiaravalle di Todi family, while in 1190 the second fortified circle was built, both for a greater defense of the village, and for the increase in population; the enlargements continued until the mid-13th century.

On the ownership of the “Castrum Monticuli” the Chiaravalle, the Alviano, the Baschi and the Colonna ruled; in the 16th century it was then the turn of the Atti family of Todi, as the names of some streets of the historical center still show. Starting from 1607 it was under the control of the Corsini. With the foundation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1860 the territory of Montecchio came under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Baschi, and so it remained until 1948 when it became an autonomous municipality with the hamlets of Tenaglie and Melezzole.