Contacts for visits on request
Address: Località La Sala – Ficulle (TR)
Telephone: (+39) 0763.86051
Since 1222 the Castle was subject to the jurisdiction of the “free municipality” of Orvieto. Like most fortifications in the area, it had a double purpose: it was part of the defensive belt of the Municipality, but it was also the theater of the internal struggles between the families of Orvieto. In particular, in the first half of the 1400s it was affected by the ongoing struggle between the various branches of the Monaldeschi family: controlled by Gentile Monaldeschi della Vipera, opposed to papal power between 1450 and 1461, he was driven away several times following the victory of the Monaldeschi della Cervara, faithful to the State of the Church. Since 1940 the castle has been owned by the noble family of the Marquis Antinori and is a place of thriving wine making activity that has produced and produced wines of great appreciation and world fame.